- Real Estate (founder)
- Distressed Real Estate (co-chair)
- Structured Real Estate Dispute Resolution Team (co-chair)
- In-House Counsel and CFO Support Services (co-chair)
- Investment Funds
- Real Estate Finance
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1983)
- Tufts University (B.S., summa cum laude, 1979)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America (2012), Real Estate Law
- Listed, New York Super Lawyers (2006–2012), Real Estate Law
- American Bar Association
- "Reinventing The Law Business: An Ode to Large Law Firms", Above the Law, August 21, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: Are Lawyers Only Happy When They're Miserable?", Above the Law, August 7, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: Low Overhead Is Great!," Above the Law, July 24, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: On Competition," Above the Law, July 10, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: Creating Customers – Peter Drucker," Above the Law, June 19, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: Blend In At Your Peril; You Need To Stand Out," Above the Law, June 5, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: Achieving The Mission — Attracting, Training, Retaining And Inspiring Talent," Above the Law, May 22, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: The First Mission — To Attract, Train, Retain, And Inspire Talent," Above the Law, May 8, 2014
- "Reinventing The Law Business: An Introduction," Above the Law, April 24, 2014
Bruce Stachenfeld, who is one of the nation’s preeminent real estate attorneys, is a founding partner of the Firm and founder of the Firm’s Real Estate Practice Group. Mr. Stachenfeld also serves as the Firm’s managing partner.
With 30 years of real estate law experience, Mr. Stachenfeld: (i) is a graduate of Harvard Law School, (ii) is a veteran of tens of billions of dollars of real estate acquisitions, dispositions, financings and other transactions, (iii) has structured and completed numerous transactions in virtually all areas of real estate and related disciplines, and (iv) is particularly known for representing clients in partnerships, limited liability companies and other co-venture situations. Mr. Stachenfeld’s reputation includes tenacious representation of his clients, brilliant creative thinking, and deeply caring for his clients’ welfare and success.
Mr. Stachenfeld is particularly known for his special skill and creativity in thinking “outside the box” to structure unusual or difficult transactions. Known primarily as counsel to institutional “money partners” Mr. Stachenfeld is equally comfortable representing the “operating partner”.
Mr. Stachenfeld has also represented clients in bankruptcies, workouts and insolvencies in each of the real estate downturns of the past 30 years. Mr. Stachenfeld applied his real estate expertise in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s to numerous bankruptcy, insolvency and workout matters by working in close conjunction with the bankruptcy departments of Latham & Watkins and Mayer Brown during his tenures at those law firms. Additionally, Mr. Stachenfeld commenced his career with a one-year stint as a litigation attorney. Finally, Mr. Stachenfeld rounded himself out by spending time as in-house general counsel for a shopping center development company. Hopefully it is not an overstatement to describe Mr. Stachenfeld as the “perfect lawyer” for a distressed real estate situation.
Mr. Stachenfeld has evolved into an attorney who is “connected” to many of the major players in the real estate world (including not only clients but adversary attorneys a well). These contacts enable him to provide critical assistance to his clients in achieving success in their transactions. This is everything from finding the ”money” or the right “operating partner” or other connection for a deal to reaching across the table to find common ground with adversaries with whom he has deliberately cultivated friendly relationships.
Mr. Stachenfeld is known to be one of the top real estate lawyers in the country for complex real estate transactions and a thought leader in the real estate world. Mr. Stachenfeld has been selected to The Commercial Observer’s Power 100 Reader’s Poll List (along with his partner, Terri Adler) naming the most powerful people in New York real estate.
As an “amateur real estate philosopher”, Mr. Stachenfeld is able to provide invaluable insights to his clients in his core passion of helping his clients build their businesses. Periodically he sits down with each of his clients to brainstorm how to assist them in making their real estate businesses more successful. Due to the breadth of Mr. Stachenfeld’s “connected-ness” in the real estate world, he is often able to provide invaluable insights.
As managing partner of a law firm with one of the largest real estate practice in New York City (with close to 50 real estate lawyers), Mr. Stachenfeld has the ability to assemble an army of extremely well-trained real estate attorneys that are capable of handling any real estate transaction of any degree of size or complexity.
In addition, as an industry thought leader, Mr. Stachenfeld (i) writes a bi-weekly column for AboveTheLaw.com entitled “Reinventing the Law Business”, which is dedicated to innovative strategies in the legal world; (ii) gives the annual keynote speech at IMN’s US Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing Forum each year; and (iii) lectures on such topics as the importance of attracting, training and retaining “talent” as the critical ingredient for a successful real estate law firm or real estate business.
Lastly, Mr. Stachenfeld absolutely loves his clients and his lawyer team and goes to extraordinary lengths to support them and help them succeed.
Prior to founding Duval & Stachenfeld LLP, Mr. Stachenfeld was a partner in Shapiro, Shapses, Block & Stachenfeld LLP. Before that, he practiced at Latham & Watkins, Mayer Brown and Shea & Gould.
Mr. Stachenfeld received his B.S., summa cum laude, from Tufts University in 1979; and his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1983. Mr. Stachenfeld is licensed in New York.