- New York University School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1987)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1984)
Charles Garner is Of Counsel to Duval & Stachenfeld and is a member of the firm’s Corporate Practice Group and Real Estate Practice Group.
Mr. Garner was previously a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, where he specialized in corporate and banking transactions. At Simpson Thacher, Mr. Garner’s practice included (a) representation of international banks and borrowers in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of syndicated lending transactions (including restructurings and workouts) and (b) representation of corporations, partnerships and individuals in domestic and international acquisition activities, financings and general corporate matters (including international joint venture and financing activities). Mr. Garner’s clients included Credit Suisse, The Seagram Company, Ltd., Universal Studios, Inc., Insignia Financial Group, Inc., Christie’s Inc. and The Chase Manhattan Bank.
Most recently prior to joining Duval & Stachenfeld, Mr. Garner was Executive Managing Director & Chief Operating Officer of Island Capital Group LLC, a real estate merchant banking firm. At Island Capital, Mr. Garner was heavily involved in the creation of Emirates National Securitisation Corporation (which was founding in conjunction with the Government of Dubai to create a real estate securitization platform for Dubai) and also served as President of Island Global Yachting Ltd. (the leading owner and operator of luxury marinas).
Mr. Garner’s other business experience includes:
- Serving as Chief Executive Officer of IDT Ventures, a subsidiary of IDT Corporation (NYSE: IDT), where he was responsible for the operation of a diverse group of companies and investments in technology, marketing and talk radio programming.
- Serving as Interim Chief Executive Officer of Winstar following its acquisition by IDT Corporation out of bankruptcy; and
- Leading the financial restructuring of Citynet Telecommunications, Inc., a telecommunications infrastructure construction company with proprietary technology for deployment of fiber optic cable through sewer systems.
Mr. Garner received his Juris Doctor degree, with honors, from the New York University School of Law in 1987 and received his BA from the University of Pennsylvania in 1984.